Munich, Je t’aime

October 3rd, 2012 klkuts14

Guten Tag !
So I know it’s been a while and I apologize for the painful weeks of waiting for contact from me, but I would like to reassure you all by stating that I survived Oktoberfest! I just needed to get that off my chest. First, I would like to start off by thanking Holy Cross for making it all happen- well, at least they contributed. Before coming to Strasbourg, you may all remember that there were once the seven Americans who began their adventure in a little town called Tours. I really wasn’t expecting much out of this place, but looking back, I realize how fortunate we were to be given the opportunity to stay there for a month. You may also recall that we made so many new friends and memories in the Loire Valley, which allowed me and my fellow Crusaders to embark on a journey to Munich this past weekend! One of our German friends, Louis, offered to let us stay with him for the weekend, and how could we turn down our own personal guide to the city and Oktoberfest? Kelia, Jess, and I spent the weekend in Munchen, and I hate to say it, but I have decided to move to Germany. It’s a beautiful place! The city was magnificent, the people were so welcoming, and I even love the sound of the language! Friday night, we arrived, and before going to the festival, Louis’ mom had a surprise for me…Yes, she had a spare traditional German dirndl dress that happened to be just my size! Could I really turn down the opportunity of looking like a Bavarian girl in the prime festival season? “Absolut nein!” So, finally all the German lessons (well, three to be exact) paid off. We rode the roller coasters, feasted on the German specialties Weisswurst and Bretzels (yes, I ate meat yet again), and even ran into some other friends studying abroad from Holy Cross!
Now, for all you parents, administrators, and those who care about my wellbeing: you would be happy to know that we did not spend the entire weekend at the festival. In fact, we spent all of Saturday exploring the city with Louis’ 11 year old sister, who, by the way, does not speak any English. Nevertheless, with our German alphabet knowledge, the four of us spent a wonderful day together, walking around the main shops and squares, ordering ice-cream and soup, and learning how to count in German (let me just say, she is a very strict teacher). At the end of the day, the weather decided to play a little prank on the rest of the Oktoberfest goers and it began to rain nonstop. Not only was I thankful to not be sleeping in the pouring rain, but i realized how fortunate I was to be able to be in Munich with my friends, in a house, and in the company of a family who we just met but were so warm and welcoming. We finished the night watching the devil wears Prada (in German) and stayed up chatting after ordering pizza at midnight. I felt like I was back at Holy Cross! I think that’s the main reason why we had such an unforgettable weekend, because it’s not where you are in life, but it’s the people you’re with that make everything worthwhile. This event also made me ten times more anxious for the month of October! First, my parents are coming this weekend!!! GET EXCITED. Perhaps I will finally get to go to the black forest and my fairy tale dreams will be realized! Then, for our October break, the five of us will be visiting our Spanish friend (from Tours) in Spain! I’m telling you, this traveling and meeting people is getting to be exhausting.
In case any of you were interested in what I’ve been up to in Strasbourg the past couple of weeks, we did end up going to a concentration camp. A brief history lesson, Alsace used to be German territory during World War II which is why there is a concentration camp in France: Struthof! I thought I also wanted to go to Auschwitz in Poland, but I came to terms with the fact that one concentration camp is enough to last me a lifetime. It was very depressing, and the cold rain did not make the experience any brighter. However, later that same day, the sun did come out and we went hiking in Les Vosges (it’s just the name of the mountain). It’s almost like the French version of the Underground Railroad because this is how the Alsatian rebels escaped from the Germans at night during the war! Also, to all you Holy Cross French students who remember our Foreign Language Assistant, Elsa, we all met up for tea together last week! She’s doing well and would like to move back to America so if anyone needs a roommate I don’t think she will take much convincing. As for now, I really decided that I need a job. Tomorrow I start my first day tutoring a student from Strasbourg who needs my help speaking English (which I hope I still remember how to do), and Friday I have my medical appointment which will determine if I can stay in the country or not. Let’s pray I didn’t eat any bad sausages in Munich…well, that’s all for now! Ciao!

2 Responses to “Munich, Je t’aime”

1. hilaryvalliere@charter.net says:

Hello my little pop tart!!!!Love reading your blog…hate to say it was my first..:(…i vow to be better…..the dress you wore was way cute!!!!Just like you!!!enjoy your fun time with your mom and dad!!xoxoxoxoxox

2. Aunt Lisa says:

OHHHHH Kristina! I feel like I’m seeing all of your journey through your eyes! Thank you for sharing all of this with us! So happy for you and your friends. You’re adorable in the little dress and what an experience! Much LOVE and HUGS from me, Aunt Lisa <3 U 2 P!